Windy Ridge School Newsletter
August 23rd 2017
Term 3 Week 5
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Consultation Evening – TONIGHT – Wednesday 23 August 6.30 pm – 8 pm
Tonight we are hosting a consultation evening at school in the Hall. There are so many things that we need feedback from our community on, and so we thought we would try and ‘knock a few off’ in one meeting, with short activities at different stations around the Hall. The plan is that everyone will have a passport that will be stamped at each station, and completed passports will go in the draw for two $50 grocery vouchers. It is really important that we get input that allows us to then formulate strategy for the school. The topics for consultation are:
- School Vision
- Reporting to Parents
- Digital Citizenship
- Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
- Cohort entry – New entrants enrollments
- Collaborative Classrooms
We look forward to seeing you tonight and hearing your ideas and views.
Safety at the School Gate.
Yesterday morning we had a number of Police for the Road Policing Unit at school to support us in the better management of traffic outside our school. They issued a number of tickets, and also gave several warnings for careless driving. They will be returning to assist us in ensuring that your children are safe around the roads by our school.
Daffodil Day – FRIDAY
Every year we support the fundraising for the Cancer Foundation by collecting donations from our community. This Friday we encourage children to bring a gold coin to donate and to wear something YELLOW as a bit of fun on the day. It might be a yellow hat, or socks, or a shirt or even nail polish! You are most welcome to join us and wear a little yellow too! We have daffodil pins on sale at the school office.
- Daffodil Day – Friday – bring gold coin to donate to the Cancer Foundation
- Open Morning is for Team Pukeko (Rms 5,6,7,and 8) on Thursday 24th August, starting at 9 am through until 12.30 pm (lunchtime).
- Team Pukeko Trip – Motat, Thursday 7th September Team Pukeko – Motat Trip
- Team Fantail Trip – The Pumphouse Threatre – Mrs Wishy Washy, Wednesday 27th September Team Fantail Trip – The Pumphouse Theatre
- Science in a Van – 30th August – Science in a Van, please return permission slip and payment to the office.
- Dance – Hip Hop Yr 4 Dance Hip Hop Year 4 starting yesterday and every Tuesday afternoon for the next 3 weeks.
- Dance – Ballroom Yrs 5 & 6 Dance Ballroom Year 5 & 6 starting tomorrow and every Thursday afternoon for 3 weeks.
- Assemblies for this term: Week 6 Tui team, Week 8 Falcon team, Week 10 All teams (Inquiry presentation)
- Cross Country – Friday 1st September, starting at 1.30pm
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- collected and stored in the Health Room.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 22/10
- Fathers Day Raffle – last Friday your child received 5 raffle tickets, the PTA would really appreciate your help in selling these tickets. Please return all money and tickets butts to the school office by Thursday 31st August. Look out the prize display in the foyer.
- Quiz Night – Friday 15th September at 7pm, tickets cost $20 see the attached flyer for more information Quiz Night
- Chocolates – REMINDER!!!! please bring all outstanding money or chocolates to the office this week.
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.
The Little Mouse’s Tail Book Launch – Saturday 26th August, 11am at Glenfield Library.
To order this book http://www.d-alchemist.com/books.html
Maths Craft Festival 9-10 September – Events Centre Auckland Museum