Windy Ridge School Newsletter
August 2nd 2017
Term 3 Week 2
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou, Cześć
News from the Principal
‘ What Now’ TV filming
Today was very exciting with the TV crew in from ‘What Now’ to film our school and students. They spent a little time in most rooms and spoke to the children about what they like about WRS and their learning. The day ended with an obstacle race for the House Captains, complete with water foam and gunge, with loud support from the rest of the school. The children went home wet, muddy and very happy. We will let you know when the programme will air on TV.
Staffing – new positions
We are pleased to welcome Mrs Julia Sides to our team, working one day per week in the Fantail team. Julia will be supporting Miss Ford as she continues her professional training and development.
Congratulations to Miss Amanda Hurley and Mrs Sarah Turner who have been appointed to In-School Leader positions to work on the Community of Learning goals. Sarah will be working on a project developing systems and protocols for transitioning students from Early Childhood education into our primary schools, and Amanda will be leading the work we are doing in our school around assessment and making learning visible to our learners. Both teachers will be working with teachers from our other CoL schools. They will continue to be WRS classroom teachers, as well as contributing to the work of our Community of Learning.
Review – school policy
We invite you to participate in a review of our Learning Support policy. This is completed online and provides us with feedback about the delivery of support for children with special learning or behaviour needs. In order to contribute to the review
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form. Thank you for your feedback and support.
Family Information Evenings
This term we have planned for two evening events for families to come along to school and participate in some activities. The first will be an evening where we ask for your ideas, opinions and feedback on a range of different topics important to our school. The second will be some workshops for you to learn some games and activities to help support your child’s learning at home. We have planned for these evenings on the 23rd August and 20th September – we will send reminders in future newsletters.
Auckland Transport have informed us that they will be in our area in the next few weeks monitoring traffic and driver behaviour. They will be issuing tickets for illegal or dangerous driving and parking, so please be aware of what the road rules are about speed limits, bus stops, corners, driveways and limited time parking.
- Scholastic Book Fair – Monday 31st July to Tuesday 8th August in the school library, look out for more information coming home next term.
- Science in a Van – 30th August – newsletter on the school website and Facebook Science in a Van
- Dance – Hip Hop Yr 4 Dance Hip Hop Year 4 starting yesterday and every Tuesday afternoon for the next 5 weeks.
- Dance – Ballroom Yrs 5 & 6 Dance Ballroom Year 5 & 6 starting tomorrow and every Thursday afternoon for 6 weeks.
- Assemblies for this term: Week 2 Pukeko team, we will be starting the assembly at 9.20am with the Book Fair Parade followed by the normal assembly. Week 4 Fantail team, Week 6 Tui team, Week 8 Falcon team, Week 10 All teams (Inquiry presentation)
- Team Falcon Trip – Kelly Tartltons Friday 18th August Team Falcon – Kelly Tarltons Trip
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- collected and stored in the Health Room.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
School Terms 2017
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 22/10
- Ice Skate Tour – We are excited to have the ice skating rink back with us again in the school hall from Thursday 10th – Friday 11th August from 3pm to 7pm & Saturday 12th August from 10am to 4pm. Prices include ice skates, helmets and gloves. An advertising flyer will be coming home this Friday.
- Chocolates – REMINDER!!!!
Thank you for the amazing support we have received in our Whittakers Chocolate fundraising project! Please bring your money into the school office by this Friday 4th August. We have amazing prices in store but only those who are brought their money back will be in to win!!!
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
This is an opportunity for parents and their children to visit Glenfield Intermediate and find out more about our school. The evening starts with a presentation in the hall, followed by a tour of the school by our student leadership team. Classrooms and programmes will be operating.
Parents and any students who want to have a look around GIS are welcome to come for a tour.
Please call the school office (444-6582) to book your time.
Tuesday 8 August, 15 August, 22 August
9.30am, 11.30am, 2pm
Parents can enrol at the GIS school office at any time during the school day (8.30am-3.30pm).
Enrolment evenings – 12th and 14th September – office open until 7pm
Please help us plan effectively for 2018 by submitting your enrolment by 29th September at the latest.
The 2017 Auckland Regional Sport Stacking Tournament will be held on Saturday, 12 August in Murrays Bay Intermediate School gymnasium. All details are on our website:
What: “Finding Guyland – The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men”. An evening with international teen parenting expert, author and TED Talk presenter, Michael Kimmel
When: Monday 7th August – Westlake Boys High School
Time: 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Price: $10 per ticket available online at Eventbrite