Windy Ridge School Newsletter
July 26th 2017
Term 3 Week 1
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou, Cześć
News from the Principal
Term Three has started really well, and we are excited about the learning, activities and events we have planned for the next ten weeks.
Our school-wide Inquiry question this term is “What do we need?” Every team will be looking at this in a different way depending on the age and interests of their students, and we look forward to the inquiry presentations in week 10 when they will share their unique interpretation of the focus.
Activities and events planned for this term include student-led learning conferences, cross country, ‘Science in a Van’ visit, hip-hop dance for year 4, ballroom dance for year 5-6, Scholastic book fair, Ice-skating in the Hall, Daffodil day fundraiser, a focus on digital citizenship, and so the list goes on! Details of these can be found on the school website as information is provided to families – the calendar is updated with these dates and any notices sent home are loaded to the website for your reference also.
All teams will be taking part in cross country running this term as part of their PE programme, and despite our best plans, it is possible that the children will get wet or muddy feet. Shoes are encouraged to protect small feet, but please send old shoes for training. Because of the unpredictable weather we request that families to send a change of clothes in a plastic bag for wet or muddy moments. We have a very limited supply of spare clothes at school so cannot guarantee that we can help if a change of clothes is needed. *** Please note that the children do not leave the school grounds for cross country running – the course is entirely within the school grounds.*** Cross Country Race day is planned for Monday 4 Sept.
Digital Citizenship – student survey
Later this week all of our students will be asked to complete a short survey about their understanding and use of digital technologies. This is part of a larger project of work looking at how our school uses digital technologies and teaches digital citizenship. It will also contribute to the strategic planning of Digital Technologies at our school.
We will be completing the survey in class with our Year 3-6 students, but will send a copy home to families of our younger learners (Year 1+2) to be completed and returned to the school office. A covering notice will be attached to the survey explaining what we need you to do. Thanks.
Next week is Book Week. Our focus for the week is NZ Authors and each class will be reading books by their chosen author. We have some buddy class activities to promote reading and at our week 2 assembly on Friday we will have a small presentation about what we have learned – some minor costume elements may be required. The Scholastic Book Fair will be in the school library from Monday 31 July until Wednesday 9th August for you to browse and buy from a great range of books and other resources.
Student Led Conferences – NEXT WEDNESDAY 2 August 2017 2 pm – 7 pm
A student – led conference is one where the child leads their parents through a discussion about their learning; what progress they have made, what their learning goals are and what they are most proud of. The teacher is present at the discussion to support the child with their presentation, but does not interrupt or take over the discussion. Their job is to add detail, explain data or prompt the discussion. Because these discussions are led by the students, we are able to offer more than one interview slot per time block. The teacher will move between the conferences to add information and support the student.
Please go to the School Interviews website www.schoolinterviews.co.nz to make a booking for your conference next term. Please enter the event code is rgwfw and then click on the teacher’s name to make a booking. If your child is receiving extra support through ESOL classes or learning support, you can also make an appointment to see Mrs Millard or Ms Maxwell. Thank you for supporting your child in this important learning opportunity for them. If you need some support with this please pop in to the office and we can help you make the booking.
**** Please note school will close early (1.30pm) on this day****
National Monitoring Study of Student Achievement (NMSSA)
We are hosting some visiting teachers in our school next week who will be working with a randomly selected group of Year 4 students. Their focus for the study is Physical Education, and the results will contribute to a national report on PE in our schools. If your child is involved in this you will have received an email or letter late last term. We will remind the children on Friday and remind them to wear suitable clothes for a week of extra PE activities. For the parents of the selected students, there is a meeting at 3 pm on Monday 31st July if you would like to meet the visiting teachers and learn more about the programme – it is not compulsory to attend.
Family Information Evenings
This term we have planned for two evening events for families to come along to school and participate in some activities. The first will be an evening where we ask for your ideas, opinions and feedback on a range of different topics important to our school. The second will be some workshops for you to learn some games and activities to help support your child’s learning at home. We have tentatively planned for these evenings on the 23rd August and 20th September – we will confirm these dates in the next newsletter.
REMINDER: Literacy Support for Adults – We are happy to be hosting an Adult Literacy class here at our school this term, on a Monday or Tuesday from 9-11 am. It is free help for NZ citizens and permanent residents, and offers help with literacy, numeracy, English language support and practical skills for managing everyday life. We have information brochures and enrolment forms available at the office for anyone who is interested. More information is available at this website
- Student Led Conferences – WEDNESDAY 2 August 2017 2 pm – 7 pm Student Led Conferences
- School Closing EARLY for SL Conferences – WEDNESDAY 2 August 1.30 pm
- Scholastic Book Fair – Monday 31st July to Wednesday 9th August in the school library, look out for more information coming home next term.
- Science in a Van – 30 August – newsletter on the school website and Facebook Science in a Van
- Dance – Hip Hop Yr 4 Dance Hip Hop Year 4 starting Term 3 week 2 every Tuesday afternoon for 6 weeks, notices were sent home on Monday see link.
- Dance – Ballroom Yrs 5 & 6 Dance Ballroom Year 5 & 6 starting Term 3 week 2 every Thursday afternoon for 6 weeks, notices were sent home on Monday see link.
- Assemblies for this term: Week 2 Pukeko team, Week 4 Fantail team, Week 6 Tui team, Week 8 Falcon team, Week 10 All teams (Inquiry presentation)
- Team Falcon Trip – Kelly Tartltons Friday 18th August Team Falcon – Kelly Tarltons Trip
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- collected and stored in the Health Room.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
School Terms 2017
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 22/10
- Ice Skate Tour – We are excited to have the ice skating rink back with us again in the school hall from Thursday 10th – Friday 11th August from 3pm to 7pm & Saturday 12th August from 10am to 4pm. Prices include ice skates, helmets and gloves. An advertising flyer will be coming home at the end of next week.
- Chocolates – REMINDER!!!!
Thank you for the amazing support we have received in our Whittakers Chocolate fundraising project! Please bring your money into the school office ASAP as we are coming to a close of this fundraiser! We have amazing prices in store but only those who are brought their money back will be in to win!!!
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
This is an opportunity for parents and their children to visit Glenfield Intermediate and find out more about our school. The evening starts with a presentation in the hall, followed by a tour of the school by our student leadership team. Classrooms and programmes will be operating.
Parents and any students who want to have a look around GIS are welcome to come for a tour.
Please call the school office (444-6582) to book your time.
Tuesday 8 August, 15 August, 22 August
9.30am, 11.30am, 2pm
Parents can enrol at the GIS school office at any time during the school day (8.30am-3.30pm).
Enrolment evenings – 12th and 14th September – office open until 7pm
Please help us plan effectively for 2018 by submitting your enrolment by 29th September at the latest.
The 2017 Auckland Regional Sport Stacking Tournament will be held on Saturday, 12 August in Murrays Bay Intermediate School gymnasium. All details are on our website: