Windy Ridge School Newsletter
July 5th 2017
Term 2 Week 10
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Happy Holidays everyone
Thank you for supporting our classes and school this term. It has been a very busy one and everyone (staff and students) is ready for the holiday break. We hope you all have a wonderful break and remind you that you are most welcome to use the school grounds during that time. Please ensure that your children are supervised however as there is no guarantee that an adult will be on site during this time. If you see some damage that needs repairing, please let us know via the Facebook page, and if you have any concerns about behaviour around the school please contact the Police directly.
School starts back on Monday 24th July.
Student Led Conferences – WEDNESDAY 2 August 2017 2 pm – 7 pm
A student – led conference is one where the child leads their parents through a discussion about their learning; what progress they have made, what their learning goals are and what they are most proud of. The teacher is present at the discussion to support the child with their presentation, but does not interrupt or take over the discussion. Their job is to add detail, explain data or prompt the discussion. Because these discussions are led by the students, we are able to offer more than one interview slot per time block. The teacher will move between the conferences to add information and support the student.
Please go to the School Interviews website www.schoolinterviews.co.nz to make a booking for your conference next term. Please enter the event code is rgwfw and then click on the teacher’s name to make a booking. If your child is receiving extra support through ESOL classes or learning support, you can also make an appointment to see Mrs Millard or Ms Maxwell. Thank you for supporting your child in this important learning opportunity for them. If you need some support with this please pop in to the office and we can help you make the booking.
**** Please note school will close early (1.30pm) on this day****
Friday – Leadership Assembly
This Friday we have our annual Leadership Assembly, where we celebrate leadership in the school and beyond. At the assembly we will have performances by the Aerobics, Kapa Haka and our newly formed Choir, as well as presentations about Leadership and the Sir Peter Blake Trust. We encourage everyone to wear something red and being a gold coin to donate to the Trust to support their ongoing work.
America’s Cup Parade – We did consider organising a trip to this Parade tomorrow, but once we got the terrible weather forecast we decided it would be irresponsible to take a large group to stand for long periods in the wet and cold for what will only be about 5 minutes of excitement. We will however investigate options for live-streaming it in the Hall instead. If you are planning to take your child to the parade, please just let the office know that they will be with you.
Community of Learning – ‘Kaipatiki Kahui Ako’
Please take some time to read the latest community newsletter about our Community Of Learning. Two appointments have been made for teachers working across all our schools to support our teachers and learners, and these teachers are introduced in the newsletter.
- HOLIDAYS start 3 pm Friday 7 July.
- Term 3 starts again on Monday 24 July – 9am Powhiri for new families.
- Student Led Conferences – WEDNESDAY 2 August 2017 2 pm – 7 pm
- School Closing EARLY for SL Conferences – WEDNESDAY 2 August 12.30 pm
- Scholastic Book Fair – Monday 31st July to Wednesday 9th August in the school library, look out for more information coming home next term.
- Dance – Hip Hop Yr 4 Dance Hip Hop Year 4 starting Term 3 week 2 every Tuesday afternoon for 6 weeks, notices were sent home on Monday see link.
- Dance – Ballroom Yrs 5 & 6 Dance Ballroom Year 5 & 6 starting Term 3 week 2 every Thursday afternoon for 6 weeks, notices were sent home on Monday see link.
- Literacy Support for Adults – We are happy to be hosting an Adult Literacy class here at our school next term, on a Monday or Tuesday from 9-11 am. It is free help for NZ citizens and permanent residents, and offers help with literacy, numeracy, English language support and practical skills for managing everyday life. We have information brochures and enrolment forms available at the office for anyone who is interested. More information is available at this website.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- All lost property will be displayed on the hall deck in front of the library, please check this week all items left will be given to the Hospice. Please remember to name your child’s clothing.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Ice Skate Tour – We are excited to have the ice skating rink back with us again in the school hall from Thursday 10th – Friday 11th August from 3pm to 7pm & Saturday 12th August from 10am to 4pm. Prices include ice skates, helmets and gloves. An advertising flyer will come home next term.
Chocolates – Thanks to everyone who has returned their money, we still have some more boxes to sell. Please remember if you have chocolates at home that you can’t sell return, them to school as soon as possible.
Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online
Forrest Hill Football – JULY SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Both weeks of the School Holidays Tuesday 11th July to Wednesday 19th July 2017
Ages 9-13 Boys and GirlsThe cost is $115 for all 3 days of each week. Thus $230 if you wanted to do all days of both weeks. Single days will cost $45 each.
Register online now at www.forresthillafc.co.nz
- Ages 8 – 9 Girls and Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
Tuesday 11th July Monday 17th July
Wednesday 12th July Tuesday 18th July
Thursday 13th July Wednesday 19th July
Edventure Great Outdoors Camp July 10-14
Calling all 8-13 yr olds! Based at Aongatete Lodge, Katikati, we have planned a range of activities including tramping, rock wall, archery, Martha Mine, Karangahake gorge, hot pools, orienteering, team building, camp cooking and other camp challenges. (kayaking and fishing weather dependent). $455 OSCAR available, pick ups Auckland- North Shore, Central and Papakura. this camp is going to be AWESOME!!! www.edventure.co.nz or 02102241576
July 1-day Holiday Programmes
Relieve school holiday boredom by booking your children into a full day of bouncy fun!
Friday 21st July
Cost: $60 per 1-day course
Times: 9am to 3pm
July 3-day Holiday Programmes
Come along to our popular 3-day courses to learn some new skills, make some new trampoline friends and have heaps of fun!
Tuesday 11th to 13th July
Tuesday 18th to 20th July
Cost: $120 per 3-day course
Times: 9am to 12pm each day
Venue: North Shore Trampoline Club (based at North Shore Events Centre), Silverfield (off Porana Rd), Wairau Valley
The 2017 Auckland Regional Sport Stacking Tournament will be held on Saturday, 12 August in Murrays Bay Intermediate School gymnasium. All details are on our website:
M Sports (Football Kidz) July Holiday Football Camp at Devonport Primary with Chris Bryson
M Sports holiday programmes are delivered by our team of highly qualified staff. The camps are suitable for all ability levels from beginner to competent. Each day will be varied, stimulating and enjoyable.
Devonport Primary School, 18 Kerr Street, Devonport, 0624 (9-3pm or 9-12pm)
Week 1: Monday 10th – Friday 14th July
Week 2: Monday 17th – Friday 21st July
Register Your Child:
Go to footballkidznz.co.nz, click ‘register your child’, ‘holiday programmes’, then ‘book now’ at the bottom of the page. Book your child’s place now as numbers are limited.
Art in the Holidays
Drawing and Painting one-day workshop for ages 7 – 12 yrs.
With step-by-step instruction from artist Eion Bryant children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, Beach Haven, Monday 10th July, 10am – 3.00pm
Cost: $50 (includes all materials)
BOOKINGS: email@example.com, ph. 483 6703
Simply Read and Write!
Edu-Kingdom College is going to run Primary Power Writing Courses during the term 2 break.
Y3 & Y4 / Y5 & Y6 Power Writing courses are designed to enrich writing and reading, boost confidence and develop imagination and creativity.
Students will read a book, have a discussion, do the activities related to it and finish with writing every day.
1. When: 10th ~ 21st July, Monday to Friday
2. Time: 9:30am to 12:30pm (3 hours)
3. Subjects: Writing, Reading, Spelling, and Grammar
4. Reading: Books selected from The New York Times’ Best Illustrated Children’s books and(or) books selected by a teacher
5. Tuition fee: ($524, 2 books included)
If you want your child to join this course, feel free to contact us.
09 4100095 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Could your child dog paddle to safety if they fell into a pool? If the answer is no book your ONE MONTH FREE swimming lessons in July with Hilton Brown Swimming today!
Hilton Brown Swimming are offering FREE beginner lessons are for children who are nervous of the water and not confident putting their faces under. Your child must be of primary school age and new to Hilton Brown Swimming. Spaces and times are limited and will be booked on a first in first served basis. Book online at www.hiltonbrownswimming.co.