Windy Ridge School Newsletter
June 28th 2017
Term 2 Week 9
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
I would like to start this newsletter with a simple thank you to everyone for the way you embraced the idea of our Matariki celebrations. Last week was amazing and it reinforced to me why I chose to work in this community. Our hangi, our classroom activities, the Kapa Haka performance – everything we managed to squeeze into one week was supported enthusiastically by staff, students and community. The idea for this event came from a hui held last year with a group of Maori parents, and I am delighted that we could make it happen, with significant help and organisation from a core group of families. We are very lucky to have such a culturally diverse community and we would love to have more cultural celebrations, so if you would like to help us celebrate a significant event in your cultural calendar, please make contact with someone at school to get the planning started.
Car park Changes
As our school grows we are challenged to provide adequate parking for the staff that work here every day. In the holidays (hopefully) we will be having both car parks re-painted and marked. The mobility taxis will be dropping our Wilson School students in the Valley View Rd carpark to make use of the new covered walkway. In order to accommodate this we will be losing 8 car parks for teachers. This means that eight teachers will have to park in the Seaview Rd carpark instead.
As a result, from term 3 there will be no parking for parents in either school carpark – please park on the road. This includes the back driveway and passing bay. There will be limited Visitor parking in the Valley View Rd carpark after 9am and before 2.30pm ONLY.
Treats and School Events
We are lucky to have such a motivated and keen PTA at our school. They work very hard to raise funds that can be used by the school to provide some of the more expensive resources that we would like to have available for our students. Many of those fundraising ideas involve food treats for our students – cake day, pizza lunch, chocolate etc. While we are mindful of the need for healthy eating, we also know that treats or ‘sometimes foods’ are a nice addition to a balanced diet.
However it is important for us all to remember that not every family wishes to participate in every event that we organise, and that is OK. Children do not take part in a cake day (for example) for any number of reasons; food allergies, recent illness, or even a consequence for poor behaviour at home! Our children and families are so kind that they will sometimes want to help out and provide a treat for someone who appears to be missing out. However that might not be respecting the wishes of the child’s family. Please know that if there is an issue of material hardship, we will generally know and are able to help out with that, and if the money has gone missing between home and school, we can sort that out too.
- Mid Year Reports – years 4 to 6 will be sent home on the last day of term. Some year 1 to 3 students will also receive their anniversary report.
- Literacy Support for Adults – We are happy to be hosting an Adult Literacy class here at our school next term, on a Monday or Tuesday from 9-11 am. It is free help for NZ citizens and permanent residents, and offers help with literacy, numeracy, English language support and practical skills for managing everyday life. We have information brochures and enrolment forms available at the office for anyone who is interested. More information is available at this website.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Forrest Hill Football – JULY SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Both weeks of the School Holidays Tuesday 11th July to Wednesday 19th July 2017
Ages 9-13 Boys and GirlsThe cost is $115 for all 3 days of each week. Thus $230 if you wanted to do all days of both weeks. Single days will cost $45 each.
Register online now at www.forresthillafc.co.nz
- Ages 8 – 9 Girls and Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
Tuesday 11th July Monday 17th July
Wednesday 12th July Tuesday 18th July
Thursday 13th July Wednesday 19th July
Edventure Great Outdoors Camp July 10-14
Calling all 8-13 yr olds! Based at Aongatete Lodge, Katikati, we have planned a range of activities including tramping, rock wall, archery, Martha Mine, Karangahake gorge, hot pools, orienteering, team building, camp cooking and other camp challenges. (kayaking and fishing weather dependent). $455 OSCAR available, pick ups Auckland- North Shore, Central and Papakura. this camp is going to be AWESOME!!! www.edventure.co.nz or 02102241576
July 1-day Holiday Programmes
Relieve school holiday boredom by booking your children into a full day of bouncy fun!
Friday 21st July
Cost: $60 per 1-day course
Times: 9am to 3pm
July 3-day Holiday Programmes
Come along to our popular 3-day courses to learn some new skills, make some new trampoline friends and have heaps of fun!
Tuesday 11th to 13th July
Tuesday 18th to 20th July
Cost: $120 per 3-day course
Times: 9am to 12pm each day
Venue: North Shore Trampoline Club (based at North Shore Events Centre), Silverfield (off Porana Rd), Wairau Valley
The Kaipatiki Free Winter Fun “Preschool Play“ mornings, commences on Tuesday 9th May at Northcote War Memorial Hall and St Barnabas Church Hall and Thursdays Beach Haven Hall. 10am to Noon. The two programmes on the Tuesday are similar but have a different approach to the other we hope you like what we have provided this season. This activity is held every week from May to October on those days in those locations. The Free Sunday Family Playdates will be promoted at a later date when organised with venues. Information re the programme; [email protected] 4848854 0274 834511 or watch our FB Pages. Full Programme is on the website; kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz
Parenting Anxious Teens & Tweens course, starts Sunday 25th June (2 weeks) from 3.30-6.30pm at Raeburn House in Northcote. Cost $50 pp or $70 for couples.
Learn more about the causes, patterns and affects of anxiety in your tween or teen. Develop skills that you can use in the home to support their journey to overcome anxiety. Meet other parents who share some of your concerns and feel supported by the group and facilitator.
Confidence, Wellbeing & Employment Guidance, starts 13th June from 1pm to 2.30pm in Northcote (6 weeks) FREE to attend.
Improve your personal wellbeing and confidence, while increasing your employment prospects.
Learn to identify your strengths, discover what support is available in your community and receive coaching on job seeking skills.
To register, please call 441-8989, email [email protected], or http://raeburnhouse.org.nz/courses/index-of-courses
Art in the Holidays
Drawing and Painting one-day workshop for ages 7 – 12 yrs.
With step-by-step instruction from artist Eion Bryant children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, Beach Haven, Monday 10th July, 10am – 3.00pm
Cost: $50 (includes all materials)
BOOKINGS: [email protected]ryant.com, ph. 483 6703