Windy Ridge School Newsletter
June 21st 2017
Term 2 Week 8
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
This week we have been learning about Matariki and doing a range of activities to celebrate. Our new learning culminates at the end of this week in a celebration on Friday where we will be having our hangi lunch followed by a special performance by our kapa haka group.
We have sold 180 tickets already and so this afternoon your child should have brought home another order form for any adults who would like to order a small hangi plate on Friday. If you would like to try our hangi lunch, please get your orders in to the school office (cash please) by THURSDAY afternoon – Hangi Order Form for Parents & Caregivers . We only have about 100 tickets remaining, so don’t leave it till Friday as we may not have tickets left. We are still accepting children’s orders also.
A HUGE thank you must go to Jason ‘Chopper’ Gerbes who is taking the lead on organising our hangi, and his fantastic team of volunteers who are coming in at different times Thursday and Friday to help us out. (Everyone should know by now who is needed and when.)
The hangi preparation starts on Thursday afternoon when the pit will be dig. The team will light the fire on Friday morning about 4am for those keen enough to come and have a look. The fire is to heat the rocks and then the hangi will go down around 7am.
The Friday afternoon programme starts at 1.30 pm with a special powhiri to welcome two special visitors from Auckland Council then a performance from our fantastic kapa haka group after that. All our families are most welcome to join us for the afternoon and if you have never experienced a powhiri you can even join the Councillors for the formal welcome.
THURSDAY – Don’t forget to send your potato or kumara to school to be peeled for our hangi. (Peelers greatly appreciated – please name and send in a plastic bag.)
Tuesday Happenings at WRS
Pukeko Team had a fantastic day yesterday at the Shakespear Open Sanctuary learning about native birds and conservation. It was a long day but everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves, thanks to the excellent planning and fantastic volunteer helpers – thanks team! While they were away our Fantail team had their big day learning about the people who can help us, with assistance from St Johns, Auckland Council, and the NZ Fire Service. A highlight was definitely the visit from the Fire Truck!
- Matariki Celebrations – Hangi & Kapa Haka performances Friday 23rd June. Matariki Festival Hangi Order Form Please return order forms to the office as soon as possible. Celebrating Matariki Information – Hangi Order Form for Parents & Caregivers
- Glenfield Intermediate School tours for Year 6 students and families have been offered for the following Tuesdays: 27th June at 9.30am, 11.30am or 2pm. Glenfield Intermediate Year 6 Information
- Literacy Support for Adults – We are happy to be hosting an Adult Literacy class here at our school next term, on a Monday or Tuesday from 9-11 am. It is free help for NZ citizens and permanent residents, and offers help with literacy, numeracy, English language support and practical skills for managing everyday life. We have information brochures and enrolment forms available at the office for anyone who is interested. More information is available at this website.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Arbonne Raffle: Congratulations to Donna Wilson on winning the gift basket and thanks to Denise Callan for kindly donating the prize.
Forrest Hill Football – JULY SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Both weeks of the School Holidays Tuesday 11th July to Wednesday 19th July 2017
Ages 9-13 Boys and GirlsThe cost is $115 for all 3 days of each week. Thus $230 if you wanted to do all days of both weeks. Single days will cost $45 each.
Register online now at www.forresthillafc.co.nz
- Ages 8 – 9 Girls and Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
Tuesday 11th July Monday 17th July
Wednesday 12th July Tuesday 18th July
Thursday 13th July Wednesday 19th July
Edventure Great Outdoors Camp July 10-14
Calling all 8-13 yr olds! Based at Aongatete Lodge, Katikati, we have planned a range of activities including tramping, rock wall, archery, Martha Mine, Karangahake gorge, hot pools, orienteering, team building, camp cooking and other camp challenges. (kayaking and fishing weather dependent). $455 OSCAR available, pick ups Auckland- North Shore, Central and Papakura. this camp is going to be AWESOME!!! www.edventure.co.nz or 02102241576
July 1-day Holiday Programmes
Relieve school holiday boredom by booking your children into a full day of bouncy fun!
Friday 21st July
Cost: $60 per 1-day course
Times: 9am to 3pm
July 3-day Holiday Programmes
Come along to our popular 3-day courses to learn some new skills, make some new trampoline friends and have heaps of fun!
Tuesday 11th to 13th July
Tuesday 18th to 20th July
Cost: $120 per 3-day course
Times: 9am to 12pm each day
Venue: North Shore Trampoline Club (based at North Shore Events Centre), Silverfield (off Porana Rd), Wairau Valley
The Kaipatiki Free Winter Fun “Preschool Play“ mornings, commences on Tuesday 9th May at Northcote War Memorial Hall and St Barnabas Church Hall and Thursdays Beach Haven Hall. 10am to Noon. The two programmes on the Tuesday are similar but have a different approach to the other we hope you like what we have provided this season. This activity is held every week from May to October on those days in those locations. The Free Sunday Family Playdates will be promoted at a later date when organised with venues. Information re the programme; [email protected] 4848854 0274 834511 or watch our FB Pages. Full Programme is on the website; kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz
Parenting Anxious Teens & Tweens course, starts Sunday 25th June (2 weeks) from 3.30-6.30pm at Raeburn House in Northcote. Cost $50 pp or $70 for couples.
Learn more about the causes, patterns and affects of anxiety in your tween or teen. Develop skills that you can use in the home to support their journey to overcome anxiety. Meet other parents who share some of your concerns and feel supported by the group and facilitator.
Confidence, Wellbeing & Employment Guidance, starts 13th June from 1pm to 2.30pm in Northcote (6 weeks) FREE to attend.
Improve your personal wellbeing and confidence, while increasing your employment prospects.
Learn to identify your strengths, discover what support is available in your community and receive coaching on job seeking skills.
To register, please call 441-8989, email [email protected], or http://raeburnhouse.org.nz/courses/index-of-courses
Art in the Holidays
Drawing and Painting one-day workshop for ages 7 – 12 yrs.
With step-by-step instruction from artist Eion Bryant children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, Beach Haven, Monday 10th July, 10am – 3.00pm
Cost: $50 (includes all materials)
BOOKINGS: [email protected], ph. 483 6703