Windy Ridge School Newsletter
June 14th 2017
Term 2 Week 7
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Professional Reading – Fourteen things that are obsolete in 21st century schools
Education theory and research into best practice is a vast body of work that is being challenged by new ideas and understandings every day. It is important that our schools reflect the world our children are moving into – not the one that we came from. Saying that it has always been this way, doesn’t count as a legitimate justification to why it should stay that way. Teacher and administrators all over the world are doing amazing things, sharing their ideas, successes and failures in order for all of us to improve.
It is not our intention just to make the current system better… we have the opportunity to change it into something else. We need to ensure that we are giving our students the broadest curriculum we can, that allows them to develop academic, social, emotional and physical skills. To do this, we will need to be innovative and try new things.
In a recent article by an educationalist blogger, they list 14 things that we could be doing differently (or not at all). You can read more about each one on the blog. Many of them we have already addressed but others are still a work in progress or a discussion we have yet to have. Some don’t apply to us at all.
- Computer Rooms
- Isolated classrooms
- Schools that don’t have WiFi
- Banning phones and tablets
- Tech director with an administrator access
- Teachers that don’t share what they do
- Schools that don’t have Facebook or Twitter
- Unhealthy cafeteria food
- Starting school at 8 o’clock for teenagers
- Buying poster-, website- and pamphlet design for the school
- Traditional libraries
- All students get the same
- One-Professional development-workshop-fits-all
- Standardized tests to measure the quality of education
- Matariki Celebrations – 19 – 23 June. Hangi and Kapa Haka performances Friday 23rd June. Matariki Festival Hangi Order Form Please return order forms to the office as soon as possible.
- Team Pukeko – Rooms 5, 6, 7, and 8 . Team trip to Shakespeare Regional Park – Tuesday 20th June. (Wet Weather plan – Tues 27th June) Team Pukeko Trip to Shakespear Regional Park For information about the sanctuary http://www.sossi.org.nz/
- Pizza lunch on Friday – ORDERS HAVE CLOSED. Pizzas will be delivered to the classrooms at lunchtime tomorrow.
- Glenfield Intermediate School tours for Year 6 students and families have been offered for the following Tuesdays: 20 & 27 June at 9.30am, 11.30am or 2pm. Glenfield Intermediate Year 6 Information
- Literacy Support for Adults – We are happy to be hosting an Adult Literacy class here at our school next term, on a Monday or Tuesday from 9-11 am. It is free help for NZ citizens and permanent residents, and offers help with literacy, numeracy, English language support and practical skills for managing everyday life. We have information brochures and enrolment forms available at the office for anyone who is interested. More information is available at this website.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
- Scholastic Lucky Book Order: Please return all orders to school by this Friday morning.
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Hell’s Pizza Fundraiser Friday 16th June – Thank you to everyone who has supported this fundraiser.
- Arbonne Raffle: Drop by the office to purchase a ticket in our beauty raffle kindly donated by ex parent Denise Callan. For more information about these products see the below flyer for contact information.
July 1-day Holiday Programmes
Relieve school holiday boredom by booking your children into a full day of bouncy fun!
Friday 21st July
Cost: $60 per 1-day course
Times: 9am to 3pm
July 3-day Holiday Programmes
Come along to our popular 3-day courses to learn some new skills, make some new trampoline friends and have heaps of fun!
Tuesday 11th to 13th July
Tuesday 18th to 20th July
Cost: $120 per 3-day course
Times: 9am to 12pm each day
Venue: North Shore Trampoline Club (based at North Shore Events Centre), Silverfield (off Porana Rd), Wairau Valley
Forrest Hill Football – JULY SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
Both weeks of the School Holidays Tuesday 11th July to Wednesday 19th July 2017
Ages 9-13 Boys and GirlsThe cost is $115 for all 3 days of each week. Thus $230 if you wanted to do all days of both weeks. Single days will cost $45 each.
Register online now at www.forresthillafc.co.nz
- Ages 8 – 9 Girls and Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 10 – 11 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Girls Becroft Park 9am till midday
- Ages 12 – 13 Boys Becroft Park 9am till midday
Tuesday 11th July Monday 17th July
Wednesday 12th July Tuesday 18th July
Thursday 13th July Wednesday 19th July
Edventure Great Outdoors Camp July 10-14
Calling all 8-13 yr olds! Based at Aongatete Lodge, Katikati, we have planned a range of activities including tramping, rock wall, archery, Martha Mine, Karangahake gorge, hot pools, orienteering, team building, camp cooking and other camp challenges. (kayaking and fishing weather dependent). $455 OSCAR available, pick ups Auckland- North Shore, Central and Papakura. this camp is going to be AWESOME!!! www.edventure.co.nz or 02102241576
The Kaipatiki Free Winter Fun “Preschool Play“ mornings, commences on Tuesday 9th May at Northcote War Memorial Hall and St Barnabas Church Hall and Thursdays Beach Haven Hall. 10am to Noon. The two programmes on the Tuesday are similar but have a different approach to the other we hope you like what we have provided this season. This activity is held every week from May to October on those days in those locations. The Free Sunday Family Playdates will be promoted at a later date when organised with venues. Information re the programme; firstname.lastname@example.org 4848854 0274 834511 or watch our FB Pages. Full Programme is on the website; kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz
Parenting Anxious Teens & Tweens course, starts Sunday 25th June (2 weeks) from 3.30-6.30pm at Raeburn House in Northcote. Cost $50 pp or $70 for couples.
Learn more about the causes, patterns and affects of anxiety in your tween or teen. Develop skills that you can use in the home to support their journey to overcome anxiety. Meet other parents who share some of your concerns and feel supported by the group and facilitator.
Confidence, Wellbeing & Employment Guidance, starts 13th June from 1pm to 2.30pm in Northcote (6 weeks) FREE to attend.
Improve your personal wellbeing and confidence, while increasing your employment prospects.
Learn to identify your strengths, discover what support is available in your community and receive coaching on job seeking skills.
To register, please call 441-8989, email email@example.com, or http://raeburnhouse.org.nz/courses/index-of-courses
“Pressing The Right Buttons” Allison Moody
Saturday 17th June 7pm in the College Auditorium $15 tickets available from student finance or reservations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with name, contact and ticket numbers. Allie is a fun, entertaining speaker but most important she has a message that is informative and life changing, you will agree with her clients…… “vibrant, insightful, funny, engaging and relevant.” You like to sit and think – but your partner likes to talk, non-stop. Your daughter must have everything neat’n’tidy – but her brother couldn’t care less. You’re a born ‘get-up-and-goer’ but you’ve married to someone who has never got up and gone anywhere without being pushed. Why? You declare in frustration that you’re opposites, that you’re like chalk and cheese and that you just can’t figure it out! Come along and hear Allison speak about personality differences, how people are wired and what makes people tick. Learn how to effectively press all the right buttons to create unity and harmony in your relationships with family, friends, workmates and neighbours.
7pm Saturday 17th June in the Rangitoto College Auditorium