Windy Ridge School Newsletter
May 24th 2017
Term 2 Week 4
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
PB4L in the Playground
PB4L (Positive Behaviour for Learning) is the framework we use at WRS to teach our school values and expectations around behaviour. I hope you have heard all about these values at home; Resilience, Integrity, Kindness and Respect. We discuss what each one will look like in different places or contexts around the school; in assembly, in the library, in class etc.
At the moment we are focusing on the playground. The message to our students is that you need to consider the ideas, interests and rights of others when you are playing together. It is essential that all of our children feel safe in the playground and that the quieter, less physical children still have a place to be. It is not OK for children to include others in a game they don’t want to play, or to be thoughtless and unkind in the way they speak or play. While this is a big message, it is quite easy to understand when broken down to our four values, for example ‘what does respect look like and sound like in the playground?‘
We know that there are times when social issues and problems arise, or even when a child just wants to have a bit of quiet time. We have identified a seat in the playground, by the office, that can be used as a time out space for just those occasions. It is visible to the office and staff room, and will be monitored by the duty teachers and our student leaders. Not every problem is a big one, but sometimes an objective viewpoint is needed to solve things fairly. If a child goes to that space it is a way of asking for help.
If we have concerns about playground behaviour, we will be in touch with you, and similarly, if you have concerns please let your child’s class teacher know so we can address it quickly.
Fidget spinners have hit WRS like a tornado! If you haven’t got one at home, then you will have seen the discussion on the news and in papers recently. The spinners were originally designed for children (and adults) with anxiety and/or ADHD. However they have definitely shifted into the toy market as part of the recent craze, and have become a distraction in our classrooms. As with other toys, there are risks in bringing them to school – risk of theft, damage, loss. Unless parents have bought a spinner as a therapeutic tool for a child with a formal diagnosis, then we would consider them a toy, and as such they should be kept at home please.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Glenfield Intermediate School tours for Year 6 students and families have been offered for the following Tuesdays: 13, 20, 27 June at 9.30am, 11.30am or 2pm.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
HOLIDAY: Monday 5th June – QUEENS BIRTHDAY WEEKEND
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Cake Day: Room 13 will be providing yummy cakes at morning tea time this Friday, don’t forget to bring a $1 to purchase a slice of cake or cupcake.
- Arbonne Raffle: Drop by the office to purchase a ticket in our beauty raffle kindly donated by ex parent Denise Callan. For more information about these products see the below flyer for contact information.
M Sports Rugby Kidz Skills Clinics at Windy Ridge School
M Sports are coming back to hold fun Rugby Kidz clinics at the school. Girls and boys from years 0-6 are welcome to participate. They’ll play fun games, learn exciting new skill techniques, play small matches and make new friends all under the guidance of our great team of qualified coaches.
We would like to offer your school the opportunity for students and families to purchase tickets for our next home game taking place at the North Shore Events Centre next Wednesday 31st May – SKYCITY Mystics vs Central Pulse – for the special rate of $10 per ticket.
Please find below the link for this offer.
The Kaipatiki Free Winter Fun “Preschool Play“ mornings, commences on Tuesday 9th May at Northcote War Memorial Hall and St Barnabas Church Hall and Thursdays Beach Haven Hall. 10am to Noon. The two programmes on the Tuesday are similar but have a different approach to the other we hope you like what we have provided this season. This activity is held every week from May to October on those days in those locations. The Free Sunday Family Playdates will be promoted at a later date when organised with venues. Information re the programme; email@example.com 4848854 0274 834511 or watch our FB Pages. Full Programme is on the website; kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz
Confidence, Wellbeing & Employment Guidance, starts 13th June from 1pm to 2.30pm in Northcote (6 weeks) Improve your personal wellbeing and confidence, while increasing your employment prospects. Learn to identify your strengths, discover what support is available in your community and receive coaching on job seeking skills. Please call Brigid on 09-441-8989 for more details, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our website http://raeburnhouse.org.nz/courses/index-of-courses
“Pressing The Right Buttons” Allison Moody
Saturday 17th June 7pm in the College Auditorium $15 tickets available from student finance or reservations by email@example.com with name, contact and ticket numbers. Allie is a fun, entertaining speaker but most important she has a message that is informative and life changing, you will agree with her clients…… “vibrant, insightful, funny, engaging and relevant.” You like to sit and think – but your partner likes to talk, non-stop. Your daughter must have everything neat’n’tidy – but her brother couldn’t care less. You’re a born ‘get-up-and-goer’ but you’ve married to someone who has never got up and gone anywhere without being pushed. Why? You declare in frustration that you’re opposites, that you’re like chalk and cheese and that you just can’t figure it out! Come along and hear Allison speak about personality differences, how people are wired and what makes people tick. Learn how to effectively press all the right buttons to create unity and harmony in your relationships with family, friends, workmates and neighbours.
7pm Saturday 17th June in the Rangitoto College Auditorium