Windy Ridge School Newsletter
May 17th 2017
Term 2 Week 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Amendment to the Education Act
Recently a series of amendments were recommended to Parliament in relation to the Education Act (1989). These have been through a series of readings and are now ready to become legislated change. The changes include a number of recommendations that are designed to clarify procedures or formalise planning structures within the system; seclusion and physical restraint, national education and learning priorities, clarifying roles and responsibilities for school trustees, strategic planning frameworks. Some changes are of greater interest to families as they will impact on your experience with the school on a more regular basis: compulsory attendance, directed enrolments, online learning and cohort entry.
Cohort entry is one that has captured the interest of the media recently, and relates to the age a child can start at a school in NZ. Cohort entry means that new entrants start school as a group at the beginning of the term closest to their fifth birthday rather than on their fifth birthday. This decision is not compulsory for every school, and so we are required to consult with future and current parents and whānau, as well as staff and local early childhood services before we make a final decision for our school.
Even if we move to cohort entry, you can still choose to delay your child’s start until the beginning of a later term or until age six if you are concerned about their readiness for school.
You can find more information about these changes at ‘Children at the heart of new education act’
A small group of senior students were invited to join Glenfield Intermediate at the Auckland Writers Festival yesterday. Ms Mahoney and her band of merry writers traveled to the Aotea Centre to hear from a range of successfully published authors about how they prepare for and refine their writing. Everyone had a great time and we are looking forward to seeing how this experience might impact on their own writing.
This Friday afternoon we have set aside some time to gather together and share some of the learning we have been doing in our science lessons so far this year. The sharing session will start at 1.45pm in the Hall, and is an opportunity for the children to share with each other what science they have enjoyed and learnt. While parents are welcome to come along, please note that this is informal and not a polished presentation.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Glenfield Intermediate School tours for Year 6 students and families have been offered for the following Tuesdays: 13, 20, 27 June at 9.30am, 11.30am or 2pm.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Arbonne Raffle: Drop by the office to purchase a ticket in our beauty raffle kindly donated by ex parent Denise Callan. For more information about these products see the below flyer for contact information.
New Beginner Class and Open Day!
Xtreme Rhythmix is starting a new exciting class for beginners in rhythmic gymnastics in the North Shore Events Centre complex on Tuesdays! To kick start our great new class we are having an open day on Tuesday 23rd May from 3:30 – 5pm. Come along and learn fun skills with ropes, hoops, balls, clubs and ribbons. Beginner classes also available on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or just turn up on the 23rd of May and have a go.
Pform.nz developing Skills for Life…for kids www.pform.nz
We teach Dance, Drama and Singing to Kiwi kids. They learn how to perform and how to present themselves onstage but what they really learn is Confidence, Communication, Cooperation, Concentration, Courage and Character – life skills worth developing! We have been offering quality performance classes and shows for children for over 15 years and we have 106 classes all over Auckland – There will be a class near you.
Bookings for TERM 2 are still open and classes are filling up quick! Special Offer for your School: Book in for Term 2 and mention this ad to receive your free Pform Sweatshirt!Phone Melissa on 09 476 4045 or email email@example.com to chat about class options.
The Kaipatiki Free Winter Fun “Preschool Play“ mornings, commences on Tuesday 9th May at Northcote War Memorial Hall and St Barnabas Church Hall and Thursdays Beach Haven Hall. 10am to Noon. The two programmes on the Tuesday are similar but have a different approach to the other we hope you like what we have provided this season. This activity is held every week from May to October on those days in those locations. The Free Sunday Family Playdates will be promoted at a later date when organised with venues. Information re the programme; firstname.lastname@example.org 4848854 0274 834511 or watch our FB Pages. Full Programme is on the website; kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz
Confidence, Wellbeing & Employment Guidance, starts 13th June from 1pm to 2.30pm in Northcote (6 weeks) Improve your personal wellbeing and confidence, while increasing your employment prospects. Learn to identify your strengths, discover what support is available in your community and receive coaching on job seeking skills. Please call Brigid on 09-441-8989 for more details, email email@example.com, or visit our website http://raeburnhouse.org.nz/courses/index-of-courses