Windy Ridge School Newsletter
May 10th 2017
Term 2 Week 2
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
We have had a fantastic day today learning about the brain. This learning was led by the wonderful neuroscientists from Auckland University. The children had an opportunity to see how brains differ in size and function between species, and to ask all those tricky questions about what happens to our brains when we learn.
Online Platforms and Cyber Safety
I found this post last week and thought it was worth sharing with everyone as it raises some interesting points that could encourage great conversation with your families around online presence and cyber safety:
‘Many children nowadays are using social media when ‘officially’ they are too young to sign up to the sites. Lots of them say that Mums and Dads have signed them up – sometimes years ago. There’s nothing illegal in that, but please keep in mind that if you signed your 8 year old up to Facebook five years ago, saying they were 13 years old – they now appear as an 18 year old on the site.
If an adult tries to groom your now 13 year old via social media, they will be able to argue that they thought they were talking to another adult. Remember to update their details, check their privacy settings, and talk to them about which pictures they use for their profile, so they’re safe online.’
The internet is a dynamic environment that is constantly changing, and every family will have a different perspective of what they consider safe and what is objectionable based on their own beliefs and expectations. No-one can possibly manage to filter out all of the objectionable material, and so our job is to arm our children with strategies for managing those situations for themselves. While we have a strong and reliable filtering system in place here at school, we still encourage our students to talk to us and you if they come across something online that makes them uncomfortable – images, messages etc. For more information on cybersafety and digital citizenship, please take some time to review the great resources available at NetSafe: www.netsafe.org.nz
HOT CHIP LUNCH
Congratulations to Kauri Team for winning the House Points for Term 1 and using our school values of Respect, Kindness, Resilience and Integrity. This Friday 12th of May all children in Kauri team will be having a Hot Chip lunch at school. They will still need to bring their usual morning tea and a smaller lunch to school on this day. If your child is involved they will have received a special ORANGE newsletter today.
Awataha Marae – Community Newsletter
We have received some information about an upcoming meeting at Awataha Marae in Northcote. If you are interested in this please collect a newsletter from the school office, or contact us to have one sent home.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property– Please make sure all clothing and other items are named, we have a lost property box located in the Health Room at the back of the office. Items will also be on display during Friday’s assemblies, on the deck area in front of the library.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’
- Netball Year 4/5Practices will be after school Wednesdays (weather permitting) First game at Westlake Girls courts starts Saturday 13th May. Games will be between 10-12noon. More information here http://www.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Cake Day – Rooms 1 & 2 are providing yummy cakes for cake day this Friday morning tea, don’t forget to bring $1 to purchase a cake.