Windy Ridge School Newsletter
March 15th 2017
Term 1 Week 7
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
We have been concerned a the number of incidents that have occurred in the last 6 months around Auckland involving adults approaching school aged children walking to or from school. Schools are only informed by the Police if such an incident involves them or a school close to them; otherwise we hear about it the same way you do – via social media or the news. We are currently re-visiting some of the key messages of the Keeping Ourselves Safe programme that we deliver to the whole school every two years, alongside the Police Education officer (Steve Harwood). These messages include:
- always walk with a group – not by yourself. Remember the school offers Walking School Buses to assist with this. Contact the school office for more information.
- Use pedestrian crossings and watch for driveways.
- If approached say LOUDLY ” NO – Go away – Leave me alone” then run to an adult or place that you know is safe and tell them what has happened. Yell – Run – Tell
We have invited the Police to come to school to reinforce these messages at an assembly in the next few weeks.
It is important that we , as the adults, encourage vigilance but do not create fear and anxiety. Our children need to be aware and have strategies that they have practised. Our community is small and close-knit, so use this strength to keep an eye out for all of our children. Know the children who walk by your house or who you see on the way to school. Talk with your children about which way they walk to and from school, whose homes they pass on the way that they could stop at if worried, and discuss this with your neighbours.
If you see anything concerning please contact the Police directly on 111.
On Saturday 18th March we are having some trees felled to make way for the new junior playground. If you intend to visit the grounds on this day please make sure all children are supervised and stay well away from this area for safety reasons. On Sunday 19th March we are holding a mini working bee to move leftover mulch and split logs for sale. All volunteers are welcome. Please bring wheelbarrows and shovels if you have them. You will also need to bring your personal safety equipment: safety glasses, ear protectors and covered shoes.
If you would like to purchase firewood ($100 per trailer), or would like some free mulch for your garden, bring along your trailer, first in first served basis and available from 11am. This is part of the playground fundraiser.
Contact Suzanne at the office if you are able to attend.
Safety after school
We would like to remind families that the school is not a supervised play space outside of school hours. We are very happy for you to bring your children here to play and enjoy the facilities, but please know that we are not supervising them if they are sent without an adult.
If you require after-school support for your children, there is a programme that runs in the school hall. Please contact Steven ( 0212987926 ) for more information about this.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Policy Review – Recognition of Cultural Diversity
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’
Shore to Shore 5km Fun Run/Walk http://shoretoshore.co.nz/
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February – Thursday 13th April
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
D I S C O – LUAU
It’s almost time for our AUCKLAND HOLIDAY WORKSHOP with Jen and Zac!The Marrzipan Holiday Workshop runs from 10am-4pm Wednesday 19th to Friday 21st April at Birkdale Int and Churchill Park School. Students will devise their own play from scratch, create characters, direct each other, design the set, bring in costumes and get to perform to family and friends at the end of the final day!
Past workshops have been a great hit! As well as having fun, the children develop confidence and public speaking ability, in a fun, relaxed environment.
For more information check out our website! Spaces are limited to 16 per group so get in quick!
Art in the Holidays
Drawing and Painting One-day workshop for ages 7 – 12 yrs.
Imagine parachuting with a dog to keep you company! Kids will create a vibrant acrylic painting of this fun image with step-by-step guidance from artist/tutor Eion Bryant. Venue: Highbury House, Birkenhead, Monday April 24th, 10am – 3.00pm Cost: $50 (includes all materials)
BOOKINGS: email [email protected], ph. 483 6703