Windy Ridge School Newsletter
March 1st 2017
Term 1 Week 5
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
We have planned to start work on the new junior playground in a few weeks time with the earthworks and tree pruning required to make space for the placement of the playground. We look forward to completing this project in the next few months.
Safety after school
We would like to remind families that the school is not a supervised play space outside of school hours. We are very happy for you to bring your children here to play and enjoy the facilities, but please know that we are not supervising them if they are sent without an adult.
If you require after-school support for your children, there is a programme that runs in the school hall. Please contact Steven ( 0212987926 ) for more information about this.
Meet the Teacher evening
Thank you to the many families that joined us for this event last week. It was very well attended and the feedback has been very positive. The NZ Curriculum presentation has been loaded to the school website: News and Events – School presentations.
We will continue to load the school presentations to this page for your reference.
Shore to Shore Fun Run
Everyone is welcome to enter this event, we are sending a flyer home today.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Policy Review – Recognition of Cultural Diversity
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’
- Kauri Club Needs YOU!We have a fabulous wee group of parents, grandparents and friends of the school who meet at 9.00 each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings for an hour each day to support our students that need to improve their oral reading. We are keen to add a few more volunteers to our group. Training is given, and enthusiasm and encouragement is more important than a perfect command of the English language. If you can offer one, two or three mornings a week regularly, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you to help the school and get to know this great group of people. For inquiries or offers of help please see Suzanne at the office or Jenine at [email protected]
- Road Safety/TravelwiseThanks to Constable Steve Harwood, we once again have a fabulous group of well trained and responsible students who have started off the year ensuring that your children are able to cross the roads in front of and behind the school safely. Not all students have made it onto the roster yet, but I will put a new roster out towards the end of the term and will include these children at this stage. Thank you also to our fabulous parent supervisors who do such a great job overseeing the process. If you would like to join this group of parent volunteers at some stage, please let me know and I’ll offer training.A reminder to parents about parking and driving behaviours outside the school: please drive slowly and considerately near our gates, watch carefully for students crossing the roads or walking on footpaths, always obey the 40 kph speed limit, avoid the no-parking (either side of both front and back gates) and limited time parking (the ten minute parks across the road are for drop off only – not for parents coming into the school) zones, try to park away from the gates and let your child walk in by themselves (Y2 up) or take a nice stroll with them. Seniors are able to walk from the Roberts Rd roundabout or the corner of Contessa and Tamahere, while juniors can walk from the school side of the Valley View intersection, or the corner of Beaudine Rd. This helps to reduce congestion at our gates, and gives your child a chance to stretch their legs and get their blood pumping before they head to class – a great springboard for the day’s learning!If your child is in Year 5 or 6 and can ride a bike confidently, but doesn’t yet have their WRS bike licence, Steve Harwood will be in from 20th March to assess students for this skill. Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming notice.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February – Thursday 13th April
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- PTA AGM tomorrow night 7pm in the staffroom, all welcome.
- Funscreen sunblock Fundraiser available through kindo. Offering a mid-season price reductions of $15 (with bungee cord) and $10 (without), with $3 of each sale contributed to Windy Ridge School and additional $1 to Child Cancer Foundation. Orders will be delivered to school the Friday following order.
This Sunday!. Weather’s looking great for our stunning 5km and 1km options. Only $2 entry. LIVE music from fabulous young local talent – Ben Glanfield. Face painting, games, food and lots more great prizes on the day – including for the best fancy dress. Online registration (and opportunity to win a UE Pre-registration is at the Beach Haven Community house Friday 3pm-7pm. You can also register on the morning from 9am. Race starts at 10:30am.
Proudly support by Kari-lee Haldane and Barfoot and Thompson Beach Haven, Recreation Services, Calliope Athletics, Kaipatiki Local Board and Beach Haven Birkdale Communities
Term 1 Holiday Programmes For those students who need an extra boost or simply require a greater academic challenge. EKC offers intensive and well-tailored Power Reading, Writing and Mathematics courses during holiday. (4 days, 5 days or 8 days)
Subjects Reading, Writing and Mathematics (Y2~Y13) Where 18 Poland Rd, Wairau Valley Time 18th ~ 28th April, 10am~12pm, 1~3pm, 2~4pm, 6~8pm (Monday to Friday) Phone 410-0095, 443-0595 (中文) Email: [email protected]