Windy Ridge School Newsletter
February 22 2017
Term 1 Week 4
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
We look forward to seeing you tonight back at school for a chance to meet your child’s teacher and hear about their plans for the year. While it is NOT a chance to discuss your child specifically, it is a valuable opportunity to make personal contact with the teacher and make sure we have your contact information up to date.
We will start the evening at 5 pm with a sausage sizzle (thanks to the PTA!) and a family dinner time. At 5.30 pm we have a short presentation in the Hall about the NZ Curriculum and how it works for your children. At 6 pm we will head to the classrooms for presentations and conversations until 6.30 pm. We look forward to seeing you there.
Life Education – Harold the Giraffe
We started the sessions with Life Ed today. Harold the Giraffe is the mascot for the programme and features as part of the teacher’s delivery. The learning is focused around the health curriculum, specifically the friendship and self-awareness aspects of the learning goals. We have chosen a set of key questions which will be used to guide our students learning and develop understandings (age appropriately):
- How do we adapt to certain situation?
- What makes a good friend?
- What makes me a good friend?
- What does our body need to stay happy and healthy?
- What can we do when we have problems?
- What makes us special and unique?
- How can our feelings influence the way we act?
- What does it take to be part of a team?
- Why is my identity and reputation important?
- How do we see the world and is it OK to think differently?
There is a parent information session for interested families TOMORROW from 8.30 – 9 am in the staffroom. You are most welcome and any handouts provided will be made available on the school website for those who can’t attend.
We are excited to see the sports kicking off this year with the basketball teams. We have three teams playing in the Wednesday competition this year, and while the year 3/4 team is now full, there are a few spaces left in the Year 5/6 teams. We also have been invited to enter a Year 2/3 team in a Tuesday evening competition. Please contact the school office or Craig directly (via WRS facebook page) if your child is interested in this. Other sports soon to be advertised are netball and hockey. Please keep an eye out for this information.
Counselling programme – Building Resilience
We are delighted to be hosting The Train of Thought programme again this year. It is an 8 week programme for children that develops strategies to help them manage their everyday life a little better. While it is run during school time and at our school, there is a cost to parents for the programme. The next programme starts in March. There is more information at the bottom of this newsletter. Please contact Jennifer directly if you are interested – [email protected]
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Policy Review – Recognition of Cultural Diversity
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’
- Kauri Club Needs YOU!We have a fabulous wee group of parents, grandparents and friends of the school who meet at 9.00 each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings for an hour each day to support our students that need to improve their oral reading. We are keen to add a few more volunteers to our group. Training is given, and enthusiasm and encouragement is more important than a perfect command of the English language. If you can offer one, two or three mornings a week regularly, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you to help the school and get to know this great group of people. For inquiries or offers of help please see Suzanne at the office or Jenine at [email protected]
- Road Safety/TravelwiseThanks to Constable Steve Harwood, we once again have a fabulous group of well trained and responsible students who have started off the year ensuring that your children are able to cross the roads in front of and behind the school safely. Not all students have made it onto the roster yet, but I will put a new roster out towards the end of the term and will include these children at this stage. Thank you also to our fabulous parent supervisors who do such a great job overseeing the process. If you would like to join this group of parent volunteers at some stage, please let me know and I’ll offer training.A reminder to parents about parking and driving behaviours outside the school: please drive slowly and considerately near our gates, watch carefully for students crossing the roads or walking on footpaths, always obey the 40 kph speed limit, avoid the no-parking (either side of both front and back gates) and limited time parking (the ten minute parks across the road are for drop off only – not for parents coming into the school) zones, try to park away from the gates and let your child walk in by themselves (Y2 up) or take a nice stroll with them. Seniors are able to walk from the Roberts Rd roundabout or the corner of Contessa and Tamahere, while juniors can walk from the school side of the Valley View intersection, or the corner of Beaudine Rd. This helps to reduce congestion at our gates, and gives your child a chance to stretch their legs and get their blood pumping before they head to class – a great springboard for the day’s learning!If your child is in Year 5 or 6 and can ride a bike confidently, but doesn’t yet have their WRS bike licence, Steve Harwood will be in from 20th March to assess students for this skill. Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming notice.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February – Thursday 13th April
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
- Cake Day: We are having our first cake day this year. Room 10 are providing yummy cakes for sale this Friday morning tea, bring along $1 to buy a cake and support the PTA with their fundraising for the new junior playground.
Sports Club for the 2017 season. Make friends, have fun and develop
your rugby skills.Initial registration dates: Wednesday 15th or 22nd Feb 5pm – 7pm,
Saturday 25th Feb 10am – 12noon at Kaipatiki Park, off Kaipatiki Road,
Glenfield (entrance via Segedin Place)For more information or to register on-line go to www.glenfieldrugby.co.nz
Or contact Carol Herbert on 021 172 9245Glenfield Junior players are aged from 4 year old through to 13. Both
boys and girls are encouraged to play. For boys and girls aged 4 – 6
the focus is on learning ball skills, team work and the fundamentals
of rugby by playing rippa rugby. From 7 -13 rugby skills are further
developed and tackle rugby is played.”
NORTH SHORE TRAMPOLINE CLUB *Great Sport * Great Fun * Great Friends*
We have after school recreational or competitive classes available and a Saturday Drop in Session.
We are also offering $30.00 off our birthday parties until the end of February.
Check out our website or give our friendly staff a call.
Allstar Cheerleaders Taster Day