Windy Ridge School Newsletter
February 15 2017
Term 1 Week 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Meet the Teacher – Wednesday 22 February
Next Wednesday evening we are opening our rooms for parents to come along and meet their child’s teacher. It is a chance to hear from the teachers in the team about the programmes, events and expectations for the year.
While it is NOT a chance to discuss your child specifically, it is a valuable opportunity to make personal contact with the teacher and make sure we have your contact information up to date.
We will start the evening at 5 pm with a sausage sizzle (thanks to the PTA!) and a family dinner time. At 5.30 pm we have a short presentation in the Hall about the NZ Curriculum and how it works for your children. At 6 pm we will head to the classrooms for presentations and conversations until 6.30 pm. We look forward to seeing you there.
Life Education – Health programme
Life Education is a charity that provides children with the knowledge to make informed choices about their health, respect others and learn to appreciate their uniqueness. The Life Education philosophy focuses on creating a sensitivity to values which lead to an understanding and appreciation of human life. This enables the child to make decisions about any negative influences that might impede the development of their fullest potential. They do this by taking children on an adventure in a mobile classroom that is equipped with sight and sound equipment designed to capture children’s imaginations. Their educators (registered teachers) deliver the programme, along with Harold the Giraffe, our mascot.
This programme starts next week and we will send a notice home tomorrow with more detailed information about the content of lessons at each level. There is a nominal cost for the workbook.
School website www.windyridge.school.nz
Please make sure that you know about the school website and have visited. This is where we will store all notices and newsletters sent home, so should you lose one or feel you have missed some information, this is where you need to go to get those notices.
**** School Notices are available on the school website. ****
- Policy Review – Recognition of Cultural Diversity
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’
- Road Patrol Supervisors – If you have some time before or afterschool we are looking for parents to help supervise the road patrol monitors. Contact Jenine Maxwell email@example.com
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2017
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February – Thursday 13th April
Term 2 Monday 1 May – Friday 7 July
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Free tickets to the International Men’s Softball tournament at Albany 8-12 February, contact the office
Meet the Teacher Night – As you all know next Wednesday 22 February is “Meet the Teacher Night” we wanted to advise that we will be having a Sausage Sizzle so you won’t need to worry about the kids dinner!
Cake Day – Next Friday 24 February is Cake Day. Room 10 will be on providing the goodies to sell, a note will come home shortly to your class to remind you. Everyone else remember to bring $1
Also Coming Up:
PTA Annual General Meeting – We are holding our Annual General Meeting on Thursday 2 March 2017 at 7pm. Everyone is welcome to come along and hear about results of 2016 and what is in store for 2017! Whether you are keen to come and join the team or would like to be a helper when you can. We would love to see you there. Come along to the school staffroom.
“Come and play rugby for your local club. Join Glenfield Rugby & Sports Club for the 2017 season. Make friends, have fun and develop your rugby skills.
Initial registration dates: Wednesday 15th or 22nd Feb 5pm – 7pm, Saturday 25th Feb 10am – 12noon at Kaipatiki Park, off Kaipatiki Road, Glenfield (entrance via Segedin Place)
For more information or to register on-line go to www.glenfieldrugby.co.nz
Or contact Carol Herbert on 021 172 9245
Glenfield Junior players are aged from 4 year old through to 32. Both boys and girls are encouraged to play. For boys and girls aged 4 – 6 the focus is on learning ball skills, team work and the fundamentals of rugby by playing rippa rugby. From 7 -12 rugby skills are further developed and tackle rugby is played.”
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 5 – 10.30am – Shepherds ParkPut the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal walkways more beautiful!!5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us in Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
Watch this space for more information