Windy Ridge School Newsletter
November 23rd 2016
Term 4 Week 7
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Supporting Learning Through the Summer Break – Wed Nov 30th
Next Wednesday evening we are hosting an interactive presentation showing ways to sustain learning over the holiday break.
We invite all families to attend and get some great ideas for fun and simple ways to support your child’s learning. We will have ideas for reading, maths and writing, along with a presentation from the Glenfield Public Library about their summer reading programme.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Helpers Morning Tea – Thursday 8th December at 10.30am
Every year we like to take some time to celebrate and thank those people who volunteer in our school.
There are so many fabulous people who help us out each year that it would be difficult to send individual messages, so we would like to extend an open invitation to anyone who has helped us this year; Road Patrol parents, Walking School bus drivers, Kauri Club readers, PMP helpers, Enviro Club helpers, Sports coaches and managers to name a few.
Onepoto Festival 2016
Congratulations to the Kapa Haka for their excellent performance at the Onepoto Festival last Friday. We had a fantastic support crew of parents and whanau attend to help us, and our students represented the school extremely well. There are some great photos and video on the school Facebook page.
We have planed our school Athletics Day for this Friday – weather permitting. As we have the Cluster event the following week we need to get through the senior classes events first, and if we get rained off, our Juniors can have their events on another day.
However we are always optimistic and so have planned the day to run as follows:
- 9am until 12.30pm – All events for Age groups 7 – 11 years old.
- 1.30pm until 2.50pm – All events for Age groups 5 and 6 years old.
Other important details for the day:
Students will need a water bottle and sunhat on the day.
PTA will be running a sausage sizzle at lunchtime and orders for this need to come to the office by Friday morning.
Cancellations will be posted on the school website and the Facebook page by 8.15 am.
We have a gastric bug that is currently impacting on a number of families and staff. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches and sore muscles. It appears to be a 24 hour bug, but is very contagious. If your child is presenting with these symptoms it is recommended that they stay home to minimise the spread of the virus. Please reinforce our health message with the students – wash hands carefully, don’t share food or drinks, and stay home if you are unwell.
Touch Draw for today:
Year 1 & 2 Bye (no game)
Year 3 & 4 against Marlborough on field 6 at 4:30 pm
Year 5 & 6 against Northcote Invincible’s on field 4 at 5 pm
School Notices are available on the school website.
- Policy Review – Sun Protection and EOTC
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’.
- Parking: Parents please remember that our car parks are not available for parent pick ups and drop offs as they are for staff and disability parking only. Also remember that when you are parking in Valley View Road there are signs limiting parking between 8.45-9.15am and 2.45-3.15pm. Please park outside the designated area or be aware that this is a ticketable traffic offence.
- School Athletics Day: Friday 25th November (Week 7) sava day Monday 28th November (Week 8). To run the events successfully we require parent help on the day. If you are available please contact John Keoghan in Room 8. [email protected]
- Cluster Athletics Day: 2nd December, sava day 9th December
- Chess: Chess club day has been changed this term. We will meet in the library on Tuesdays at lunchtime. Everyone is welcome to come along and learn how to play.
- Stocktake – Please return all reading and library books to school asap, as we are doing our annual stocktake very soon.
- Families in the Park: Friday 2nd December, there will be activities and toys for the children to play with on the school fields from 5pm. See this link for more events on your local area. 2016summer
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2016/2017
Term 4 Monday 10th October – Wednesday 14th December (school closes at 12.30 pm)
School holidays during the term: Labour Day – Mon 24 Oct
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February 2017 – Thursday 13th April 2017
Tickets have gone home with your children so happy selling! Be in to win some cool prize baskets.
Hot Dogs and Ice Creams for Athletics day.
Next Friday 25 November is school athletics day and we are hoping for sunshine! We will be selling hot dogs and ice creams/ice blocks, order forms are available in the office.
‘The FLASH BANG SCIENCE Club pre-Christmas holiday workshops are now available for booking in Beach Haven, Orakei, Ponsonby and Pakuranga. We will also be running after school science classes in South Auckland and Beach Haven for Term 1. For more information and bookings please check out http://www.flashbangscienceclub.co.nz, email: [email protected]nz or phone: 0297 712 923’
|CHRISTMAS JUST GOT BIGGER!
|Taller than a two-storey house and built from over half a million LEGO bricks, the LEGO Christmas Tree will land in Auckland on 25 November to light up Aotea Square until 27 December.
Designed and built specially for kiwi LEGO fans, the jaw-dropping giant LEGO Christmas Tree stands over 10 metres tall, weighs 3.5 tonnes and took more than 1,200 hours to build.
Decorated with some distinctly kiwi-themed festive additions including a life-size Santa with a surfboard, a pukeko and a kiwi, the massive tree will come to life each evening at Aotea Square from 7 pm onwards with a spectacular light and sound show.
While you’re there pick up a copy of the Auckland Live Summer in the Squarebrochure. Packed full of FREE summer entertainment, activities and events happening from December to February, it’s your one-stop guide to summer fun.
With support from Auckland Council, LEGO, Heart of The City, The Hits and The New Zealand Herald.
See you there!
Vinyasa Flow Yoga Classes
All Stages Welcome Tuesdays 7pm Highbury House, 110 Hinemoa St, Birkenhead
Saturdays 10am Shuriken Gym 89A Wairau Rd, Glenfield (Entrance via Currys Lane)
First class free then $10 casual or $45 for 6 classes For more information contact Simone 021 128 3425