Windy Ridge School Newsletter
October 12th 2016
Term 4 Week 1
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Welcome Back to term 4
Welcome back to yet another busy term. I hope everyone managed to get some fun and rest over the break. There are a number of events planned for this term, so keep an eye on the calendar on the school website and for notices that arrive home.
Welcome Back to our Wilson School colleagues and students
The building refurbishment of Room 5 has been completed over the holidays, and we are delighted to have our Wilson School team back with us. The rooms look lovely and we are looking forward to the covered walkway and carpark re-organisation being completed later in term 4. The final part of the upgrade is the provision of a new modular stage with an access ramp for wheelchair users, to be completed in 2017.
For those families new to our school, Room 5 is a satellite unit from Wilson School in Belmont that provides appropriate education for children with significant physical and/or intellectual difficulties. These students participate in as much of our daily school life as they are able and we are very happy to have them back in our school.
Please note that their return means significantly more traffic in our car parks throughout the whole day and particularly before and after school. We remind all parents and whanau that no one should be using the car parks to drop off or collect their children during school days.
It is an issue of safety and we need your help to keep our children safe.
Retirement – Mr Taylor
We are sad to announce that Mr Taylor will be retiring at the end of the year, after 13 years with Windy Ridge School. Brian is leaving to spend more time with his gorgeous grandchildren, and work on the many projects he has on his own property. He has made a significant impact on our school in this time, and will be sorely missed; however we wish him and his family every happiness in the future. We will be farewelling Brian towards the end of the term.
Community of Learning
As shared earlier in the year, we have been working with the other schools in our local cluster to develop a shared vision for improving outcomes for students in the Glenfield area. We have prepared and presented our achievement goals to the Minister and she has approved the proposal, launching the Kaipatiki Community of Learning. This structure provides the schools involved opportunity to receive and share increased resources and staffing. The process for appointing leaders within and across the schools is our next challenge, and we will keep you informed when it begins. The combined Boards of the nine schools involved are meeting tonight to hear more about the achievement goals and the process for staffing and resourcing to schools. On Monday after school the combined staffs will meet together for a similar presentation.
School Notices are available on the school website.
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’.
- Parking: Parents please remember that our car parks are not available for parent pick ups and drop offs as they are for staff and disability parking only. Also remember that when you are parking in Valley View Road there are signs limiting parking between 8.45-9.15am and 2.45-3.15pm. Please park outside the designated area or be aware that this is a ticketable traffic offence.
- Lost Property: We have a large amount of unclaimed items in the office. Follow this link to see some of these items Lost Property. All unclaimed items will be donated to Womans Refuge at the end of the term.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
School Terms 2016/2017
Term 4 Monday 10th October – Wednesday 14th December
School holidays during the term: Labour Day – Mon 24 Oct
Term 1 Wednesday 1st February 2017 – Thursday 13th April 2017
Welcome back to the last term of the year and we have fun things planned for the kids and for families!
We have our end of year Disco coming up on the 4th November. Theme will be GLOW. Forms will come home on Monday so gives everyone plenty of time.
Is your child shy? Do they feel intimidated by the idea of public speaking and performance? Do they sometimes find it difficult to make eye contact? Do they just need dedicated time per week to just be CRAZY?! Come and join the revolutionary self-confidence programme – Marrzipan! We run awesome drama classes at school, which focus on key life skills and public speaking ability. We play fun engaging games and perform at the end of term once to parents and once to the school. All scripts are original, engaging, educational and HILARIOUS. All children receive an end of term progress report too, along with a certificate to remind them they are awesome! You can sign your child up for a Trial Lesson via our website www.marrzipandrama.co.nz
, contact Jex on 027 217 0693 or email [email protected]
The Flash Bang Science Club – Inspiring science for curious kids afterschool classes.
Young At ARt afterschool art classes.
The Spooky Shed Tour, Northcote Rugby Saturday 29th to Monday 31st October 5pm to 8pm.