Windy Ridge School Newsletter
August 10th 2016
Week 3 Term 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 0384799 00
Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Pubertal Change Evening
Parents are invited to attend the meeting tonight to hear about the upcoming pubertal change programme for Year 5 and 6 students. Please come to the staff room at 6.30 pm to meet the facilitator, view the programme and ask any questions that you may have.
Maths Basic Facts Challenge
It is essential for students to become proficient in recalling their basic facts and times tables in order to be confident in their maths activities. This week students have been given a leveled set of questions to learn for the next two weeks. At the end of that time they will sit a timed test of their basic facts list. Certificates, prizes and house tokens will be awarded for scores of 80% accuracy or above. The levelled question sheets are also online under the numeracy tab on the school website “Online Learning”.
PTA Fundraiser and colouring competition
We have a great movie fundraiser coming up next month – The Secret Life of Pets – September 18th. As a promotion for this the PTA is running a colouring competition for the kids. These sheets will be handed out to students today, and need to be returned by Wed 17 August. There is a prize of 2 tickets for the best picture for each team.
School Policy Review
Earlier this year we moved to an online policy database, allowing us to easily share, review and modify school policies. Throughout the year, the SchoolDocs team updates the content to reflect policy changes, new legislation, and general improvements for clarity, readability, and purpose. Each term board members, staff, and parents can be invited to review and comment on specific policies, as appropriate to their role in the school. This feedback is captured using the red Policy Review button, which is only visible when a policy is up for review.
Our SchoolDocs policies and procedures are organised under the National Administration Guidelines:
- NAG 1: Curriculum
- NAG 2: Documentation and Self-Review
- NAG 3: Employer Responsibility
- NAG 4: Finance and Property Management
- NAG 5: Health, Safety, and Welfare
- NAG 6: Legislation and Administration
For each guideline there is an overarching policy that covers all topics in that section. Each section is made up of the policy, and the procedures that underpin it. Not all topics need to be regularly reviewed. The review schedule lists policies and key procedures that external auditors such as ERO expect to see reviewed.
You are most welcome to go online to view the school policies: www.schooldocs.co.nz then “search for your school’ (top right hand corner of page. Alternatively we have a link on the school website. (Please note there are no reviews for community for this term)
Our username is windyridge and password WRS0629.
School Notices are available on the school website.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’.
- Parking: Parents please remember that the front car park is not available for parent drop offs as it is for staff and disability parking only. Also remember that when you are parking in Valley View Road there are signs limiting parking between 8.45-9.15am and 2.45-3.15pm. Please park outside the designated area or be aware that this is a ticketable traffic offence.
School Terms 2016
Term 3 Monday 25th July – Friday 23rd September
Term 4 Monday 10th October – Wednesday 14th December (tbc)
School holidays during the term:
- Labour Day – Mon 24 Oct
Team Fantail Swimming Term 3: Every Friday from 29th July for 8 weeks.
CAKE DAY – Is on next Friday 19 August 2016 for morning tea. Treats/Cakes will be provided by Room 10, notice will come home next week as a reminder. Remember to bring your $1 next Friday.
FATHERS DAY RAFFLE – Fathers Day is coming up in early September so we would like to make up some hampers to raffle off to some give to some lucky dads. If you would like to bring a donation into the office of chocolates, chips, snacks, alcohol or anything else mannish that would be awesome!!! Raffle tickets will be out in a couple of weeks.
MOVIE FUNDRAISER – We are holding a movie fundraising event on Sunday 18th September at 1.45pm at Hoyts Wairau to see the movie, before it’s even out to the public, A SECRET LIFE OF PETS!! It’s going to be an awesome event to bring family and friends to. More information to come so book the date in your diaries, tickets go on sale on 22 August 2016.
DISCO – We have a disco coming up on Friday 2 September and the theme will be “OLYMPICS” so start organizing your costume – you could come as a country supporter or as an athlete. A Flyer will be out in the next couple of weeks
Mairangi Bay Badminton Junior club (ages 7-14)
Meet Thursdays 5.30-7pm in the Badminton Centre, Bond Crescent, Forrest Hill
Free coaching available. Costs are $10 per visit or join from 1 Aug to 28 Feb for $125
See our website for more details or call Mel on 021 614 121