Windy Ridge School Newsletter
August 3rd 2016
Week 2 Term 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 0384799 00
Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Assembly and Book Parade this week
This Friday we have a Book Week event at assembly. All classes will be presenting an item about a folk tale they have read in class. We will start the morning with the Book Parade at 9.30 am, followed by our normal assembly items.
Parent Evening – Pubertal Change programme
A reminder for the parents of Year 5 and 6 students of the information evening here at school next Wednesday evening (6.30 pm in the Hall or staff room, depending on numbers). It is a chance to meet the programme facilitator, hear about the programme and ask any questions before the programme starts the following week.
Damage to School Property
Many thanks to everyone for your support regarding the vandal damage in the school recently. It is very disappointing to see this happen as we know our students and community are very proud of our school, and this sort of thing feels personal. The Police are involved and will be doing some investigation. We are having CCTV installed within the next two weeks, and have contacted our local schools to see if they have heard anything also. While very tempting to ‘stake-out’ the school, we have decided it is best left to the professionals, and so Matrix Security and the local police have been patrolling the school in the evenings. If you are here or passing, and see anything that concerns you, please phone the Police directly as they have us on a ‘watch list’. If you find damage, phone North Shore Police (477 5000), but if you see the people of concern onsite phone 111.
As you know we are having our car parking at school altered to accommodate changes to the Wilson Unit. This means that there are NO SPACES available for parents to drop off or pick up their children in either of our school car parks. You will need to use the street parking. For our older children, perhaps they can walk to your car parked a little further away from the school gate, achieving the ‘Park and Walk’ Travelwise goal. We have provided car park passes for three families with specific needs who will use the front car park, along with visitors to the school. Please do not be offended if you are turned away from the car park.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’.
- Parking: Parents please remember that the front car park is not available for parent drop offs as it is for staff and disability parking only. Also remember that when you are parking in Valley View Road there are signs limiting parking between 8.45-9.15am and 2.45-3.15pm. Please park outside the designated area or be aware that this is a ticketable traffic offence.
- Winter Walkers Week “Walk/Bike to Rio” Thank you for helping our school in showing your support for cleaner air and less traffic congestion around the school gate. Next week will be Winter Walkers week, a timely reminder to brainstorm about all the advantages walking has for our community. Often we use the weather as an excuse to feed our comfortable lifestyle of driving to school. Next week we want to celebrate walking, scooting and biking even if it rains. Since the Olympic Games begin next week, our motto will be “Walk or bike to Rio”. Children will receive a booklet in which they can add the distance they walk to and from school every day. In the classrooms the children will add up their kilometres. The question is whether they can together achieve to walk to Rio? Rio is quite far away, therefore it goes without saying a lot of kilometres are needed. Let’s see whether we get there.
- Road Patrol
We are still desperately short of parents to supervise our road crossings. We need people for Monday and Tuesday morning and Monday and Thursday afternoon. Please speak to Jenine Maxwell if you can volunteer one of these days.Supervised Valley View Day’s End.We have a number of Mums who are struggling to negotiate the driveway at the back gate thanks to advanced states of pregnancy or numerous preschoolers to manage. I am happy to organise two reliable seniors to walk the children of these parents up to the Valley View shelter. If you think you fit into this category and would like to take advantage of this service, please let Mrs Boyce know your child’s name and room number and I’ll organise a pick up service.
School Terms 2016
Term 3 Monday 25th July – Friday 23rd September
Term 4 Monday 10th October – Wednesday 14th December (tbc)
School holidays during the term:
- Labour Day – Mon 24 Oct
Team Fantail Swimming Term 3: Every Friday from 29th July for 8 weeks.
Prospective Year 7 students, their parents and Whānau are
warmly invited to attend a Glenfield Intermediate Information
Evening on Tuesday, 2 August 2016 6.30pm-8.00pm
Come along and see classes in operation and hear why
Glenfield Intermediate is a positive choice for learners
between primary and college.
Year 7 enrolments for 2017 are now being accepted until 23
September. School Office will be open until 7pm on
Tuesday, 6 September and Thursday, 8 September for
138 Chivalry Road, Glenfield
Telephone: +64 0 4446582
Mairangi Bay Badminton Junior club (ages 7-14)
Meet Thursdays 5.30-7pm in the Badminton Centre, Bond Crescent, Forrest Hill
Free coaching available. Costs are $10 per visit or join from 1 Aug to 28 Feb for $125
See our website for more details or call Mel on 021 614 121