Windy Ridge School Newsletter
July 27th 2016
Week 1 Term 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Welcome back to Term three everyone!
Student Led Conferences
Wednesday 3 August from 2pm – SCHOOL CLOSES AT 1.30PM.
Next Wednesday we will be closing school early to allow time for students and families to meet to discuss their learning. Student Led Conferences are an opportunity for your child to reflect on their learning and explain in their own words their effort and achievements so far this year. This process is powerful in developing both accountability and responsibility, contributing towards our goal of growing independent and reflective learners. Teachers will be available in rooms to clarify or expand on any information the children share with you. If you have specific questions or concerns, it would be useful to communicate those to the teacher prior to the meeting so they can ensure they address them at the conference, or make another time to meet with you.
You can book a conference time at www.schoolinterviews.co.nz (code fkrxn ). See the office if you have issues with this.
We also want to remind you that the Library will be open on these afternoons and encourage you to visit while you are at school for the conferences. In the library you can view the Scholastic Book Fair, purchase books for your family and also meet with the Principal and Deputy Principal of Glenfield Intermediate School for information about moving to Year 7.
PLEASE NOTE – if your child has started school in the last few weeks, it is not expected that you would attend this event. You will have a meeting with your child’s teacher after they have been at school for 6 weeks to discuss their progress. If you unsure about whether to book an appointment please speak with your class teacher.
Pubertal Change Programme
This term we are running the Pubertal Change programme for our Year 5 and 6 students this term. It is an important part of the health programme and introduces the physical, emotional and social changes that they will experience in the coming years. It gives them an opportunity to ask questions in a safe environment and is delivered by experienced facilitators from Positive Puberty Plus.
The programme starts with a Parent information evening on Wednesday 10 August at 6.30pm. At this meeting we will share the content of the programme, the resources being used and you will have an opportunity to ask questions of the facilitator. More information to come closer to this date.
Our senior students in Tui team are starting their dance programme as part of their PE learning for this term. The year 4’s will start Hip-hop lessons next Tuesday and the Year 5 and 6 students are doing Latin American ballroom lessons with Johnny Williams, starting this Thursday. Notices have gone home with information about fees and times.
‘Train of Thought’ classes with The Kids Coach! (Opportunity for private counselling)
We have been working with Jennifer Pollard (The Kids Coach) for a number of years, and have been impressed with the programme she runs for children needing support with resilience and managing emotions. However affording and fitting private counselling into an already busy family life can be a challenge. To help out with this, Jennifer (the Kids Coach) has offered us a special reduced price for WRS families ($230), and we have offered to host the group at school during school times.
This programme starts with a Parent’s Workshop on Monday, 29 August (7:00-8:30pm).
Children’s Classes Start: Thursday, 1 September 9:30am – 10.30am @ Windy Ridge School
Bookings and Queries: www.thekidscoach.co.nz or [email protected] or speak to Mrs McPherson or Ms Maxwell if you would like your child to participate.
Term dates and Upcoming Events
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- At ezlunch, we’re all about making life easier for busy mums and dads – so our menus are designed around guilt-free food, ordered easily and priced so you can use it when you need it… as well as when a treat is required!
Introducing… COMBO BOX FRIDAY.
Designed to make ordering even faster on a Friday, the menu still has ALL the warm meals and large sushiboxes available, but has introduced BOX COMBOS for the cold meals, snacks and drinks. One click, lunch ordered.
And even better, it’s cheaper than if you bought the items separately.
Here’s a taste…
C1 Snack Combo: Cookie, Popcorn and a Tropical Just Juice
C2 Snack Combo: Chocolate muffin, Popcorn and an Apple
C3 Snack Combo: Blueberry muffin, Popcorn and freshly washed Grapes
C4 Snack Combo: Chocolate brownie, Carrot sticks and Sassy Strawberry yoghurt tube (no sugar added real fruit)
C5 Lunch Combo: Chicken & salad filled roll with a chocolate chip cookie and grapes
C6 Lunch Combo: Egg mayo sandwich with a chocolate chip cookie, apple and small tropical juice
S1 Sushi Combo: Sushi – Chicken (6 pieces) and cookie
S2 Sushi Combo: Sushi-Chicken (3pec), cookie, popcorn and Yoghurt
S3 Sushi Combo: Sushi-Chicken & Avocado (3 pce), cookie, popcorn, yoghurt
Other menu changes:
Thursday’s Special: Asian vegetable noodles (both large and small sizes)
New Sushi: Sushi Tuna & Fancy Lettuce (available in 3 piece or 6 piece packs)
Popcorn: now 0.60 cents for a 1-cup portion.
Your new term’s menu is on the website and can be viewed now.
- PTA Facebook – Information about our fabulous PTA is available online on Facebook. Search ‘Windy Ridge School PTA’ for the page and join up for updates and information about events and news.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. Search – Windy Ridge Parents. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff’.
- Parking: Parents please remember that the front car park is not available for parent drop offs as it is for staff and disability parking only. Also remember that when you are parking in Valley View Road there are signs limiting parking between 8.45-9.15am and 2.45-3.15pm. Please park outside the designated area or be aware that this is a ticketable traffic offence.
- Help Needed!Welcome back to Term 3. I hope you had a great holiday. I am currently working on the Term 3 Road Patrol roster and am desperately looking for parents to help supervise this important student responsibility. Any parent can do this critical job, it does not have to be a parent of a senior student. It’s a great way of contributing to the school and getting to know our school community better. No previous experience is required and training is provided by Ms Maxwell.Book Week!Next week is our annual Book Week. The students will be involved in a range of activities including:
- Reading with their buddy class
- Listening to a story read by another teacher
- Preparing for their class contribution to Book Parade.
- The Scholastic Book Fair in our library.
We will hold the Parade on Friday. Details will come home closer to the time.
School Terms 2016
Term 3 Monday 25th July – Friday 23rd September
Term 4 Monday 10th October – Wednesday 14th December (tbc)
School holidays during the term:
- Labour Day – Mon 24 Oct
Team Fantail Swimming Term 3: Every Friday from 29th July for 8 weeks.
Glenfield Intermediate School
Prospective Year 7 students, their parents and Whānau are warmly invited to attend a Glenfield Intermediate Information Evening on
Tuesday, 2 August 2016
Come along and see classes in operation and hear why Glenfield Intermediate is a positive choice for learners between primary and college
Year 7 enrolments for 2017 are now being accepted until 23 September. School Office will be open until 7pm on Tuesday, 6 September and Thursday, 8 September for evening enrolments.